This section is for you if you’re an RN who’s been educated in Canada or an internationally educated nurse who is currently licensed in another Canadian province or territory.
Requirements for Licensure
- If English is not your primary language, an acceptable English language test is required. Please visit the IELTS and CELBAN websites for current testing information.
- Successfully complete an approved nursing education program in Canada
- Proof of initial registration by examination in the jurisdiction where an approved nursing course was taken and official proof of most recent registration if different from initial registration
- Reference from most recent nurse manager or supervisor who is familiar with your RN practice
- Proof of legal name (original or certified copy of birth certificate, government issued photo ID and marriage certificate, if applicable)
- In the past 3 years, you must have worked in approved registered nursing practice; or graduated from an approved nursing education program and passed the NCLEX-RN; or completed an approved nursing re-entry program
- Current Vulnerable Sector Check
- Submit your application for licensure along with applicable fees
Application for Licensure Process
- Complete the Online Assessment for RN Eligibility with the SRNA.
- Upload a copy of your birth certificate and government issued photo ID (and marriage certificate, if applicable).
- Complete the Verification of Original Registration/Licensure Form and send it to the registration body of the province or country in which you were originally registered.
- If you’re an internationally educated nurse you will need to provide two Verification of Original Registration/Licensure Forms; one from the country you obtained your basic nursing education and one from the province in Canada you first obtained registration and licensure.
- Complete the Verification of Current or Most Recent Registration/Licensure Form and send it to the registration body of the province or country where you’ve most recently registered as a RN.
- Complete the Consent Form to Obtain Employment Verification Information and upload it to the SRNA.
- Complete the and upload it to the SRNA. Form
- If you have never practiced as a RN in Canada: complete the Consent Form to Release Registration Information and upload it to the SRNA.
- Obtain a current Vulnerable Sector Check issued by the police force where you live. Examples include the RCMP, City Police, or police service.
- Once your Assessment for RN Eligibility has been approved, you will be sent a link to complete the RN Initial Application for Licensure online.
Regulations and entry requirements are subject to bylaw and policy changes.
If you have questions, contact email@example.com.