Maintaining Eligibility for Registration: Nursing Practice Hours
This section is for SRNA members who want to know what nursing practice activities will be considered when counting hours for renewal of licensure.
Hourly Bylaw Requirement
In order to maintain eligibility for registration the member must complete the hourly Bylaw requirement of acceptable nursing activities specific to their licensure for the period of time noted immediately preceding the registration year for which renewal of registration is sought, or completed an approved re-entry program within that same period of time.
- Registered Nurse (RN) – 1125 hours in a 5-year period
- Registered Nurse with Additional Authorized Practice [RN(AAP)] – 900 hours in a 3-year period
- Nurse Practitioner (NP) – 900 hours in a 3-year period
Please note that overtime; “on call”; travel to and from work; and sick time are not considered nursing practice for the purpose of the hourly bylaw requirement.
Professional Development and Education
Continuing professional nursing education hours will be recognized in the following:
- Nursing Certificate/Certification Courses: Equivalent hours of nursing practice will be accepted. In those courses, where no hours have been assigned by the provider, the course will be assessed by the SRNA to ascertain number of approved hours.
- Nursing Workshops/Conferences: Equivalent hours of nursing practice will be accepted
- Part-time or full-time study: Outside of SRNA RN, AAP, NP approved programs or courses towards advanced nursing education will be assessed on a course-by-course basis
- Other Degrees: Nurses enrolled in courses in other professional disciplines will have their courses assessed on a course-by-course basis
Recognition of Practice
Recognition of practice (ROP) is a process to evaluate the work of members planning to/or practising in non-traditional or complex roles. Written requests for recognition of practice to maintain registration will be reviewed by the SRNA Registrar. Requests may be presented on an individual basis to the Registration and Membership Committee, who will make a recommendation to the Registrar. Members may be required to submit the following documentation: job description/posting, job qualifications, job responsibilities, evidence of congruence between the nursing activities involved in the position and the official job description.
Non salaried registered nursing activities may count for up to 20% of the current bylaw requirement of acceptable employment in the given period of time for applicable licensure. Volunteer hours may include but are not limited to: work with medical/health/government/missionary organizations; activities with regulatory and professional bodies committees or other health care/government committees/boards. The volunteer activities must be revalidated annually as part of registration renewal
- RN- 225 hours in 5 years (20%of 1125 hours)
- RN(AAP) or NP –180 hours in 3 years (20% of 900 hours)